Nissan 350Z and Mazda RX-8 - AS/SS contenders?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Nissan 350Z and Mazda RX-8 - AS/SS contenders?
From: "Stephen Hui" <shui68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 16:34:13 -0800
Sent this from the wrong account the first time; my apologies if you get
it twice.

Anyway, I'm surprised that there hasn't been any discussion on the list
about how these two upcoming cars will do or how they will be classed.

They certainly look to have what it takes on paper.  The 350Z will have
280+ horsepower, and Nissan's stated performance target has always been
the Boxster S.  The Mazda will have less power (250 hp), but supposedly
has a stiffer chassis than the RX-7 did.  On the downside, the RX-8 will
have to contend with a shortage of torque (around 150 lb. ft, if I
recall correctly), while Nissan's website lists the 350Z as having only
8" wheels (pretty skinny).

So - how do people think these cars will take to Solo?  The 350Z looks
to be a good competitor to the Boxster S, which unfortunately might mean
that it will go to SS to face the Z06s.  The Mazda looks similar to the
S2000, so presumably it will go to AS next year.  Anyone have opinions
on how they'll fare?

Steve
(lurker)