Lightweight Flywheel

To: "Autox \(E-mail\)" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lightweight Flywheel
From: "Gabriel Boehm" <gabriel@boehm.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 17:12:04 -0500
Well it's time for me to get a new clutch. The stock one with 115k miles
just isn't holding up anymore. Going to upgrade with something a little more
robust.
I am also considering a light weight flywheel. Specifically a Firdanza. The
car is a '93 240SX, used mostly for fun and for AutoXing. I rarely will
drive it in traffic.

I've heard from some that this may not be a good idea. (more engine
vibration, more wear on the engine.) Well I don't really car about that,
it's build as a street legal racecar. Are there any other downsides? How
noticeable are the benefits, especially in terms of autocross performance.
The engine has the basic array of bolt ons, the suspension is pretty well
setup, with some pretty sticky tires. (Falken Azenis) and fairly lightweight
wheels (16" Eneki RP01, about 14 lbs with out tires, not the best, just the
best I could afford). I noticed some gain with the lightweight crankshaft
pulley, and I hear that it is about 2-3 times the effect.

Any comments you all can give me on this are appreciated.
Thanks