Re: A/R bar question...

To: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Subject: Re: A/R bar question...
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 16:14:34 -0700 (PDT)
On Fri, 12 Apr 2002, Sam Strano wrote:

> At 03:01 PM 4/12/02, James Libecco wrote:
> >Bob, You need to check the actual stiffness of each bar, but from what I
> >have seen, most hollow bars are stiffer than the solid equivalent
> >size.  Am I not remembering physics right?
>
> Nope.  If the same OD and the same bends, etc..... the hollow bar will be
> softer.  Not a lot softer, since the outside does most of the twisting, but
> a bit softer none the less.

Per the equation, a hollow bar will be softer than a solid bar of the same
diameter and material by exactly the amount of a solid bar with the OD of
the hollow bar's ID.  Since the stiffness is proportional to I believe the
fourth power of the diameter, as Sam alludes the hollow bar doesn't have
to be much bigger to be as stiff or stiffer.  But it *does* have to be
bigger.

KeS