Newbie alert

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Newbie alert
From: Josh Umsted <jumsted@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:52:12 -0700
Hello group,

I'm an autox virgin, as it were.  Just got a 2001 Celics GT-S, 4 speed auto
w/autostick, or whatever Toyota calls it.  100% stock for now, and just may
keep it that way.  I would, however, like to give autox a try.  I went to a
couple events with my buddy Eric in his Miata and it looked like a blast,
only I was driving a jeep at the time.  So Eric, if you're lurking, watch
your 6.  I'm right behind you.

If anybody cares, this is my fourth Toyota.  My first car was an '80 Corolla
wagon.  Whatever.  Then I graduated to the '87 MR2 and really learned how to
drive.  I miss that car terribly, but it wouldn't carry my SCUBA gear.  I
just lost my '96 SR5 4Runner to arson.  Bummer.  I was gonna keep that thing
forever.  Loved it.

BUT, what a great excuse to get a sports car!  Right?  And it will haul two
people's gear, and then some.  It's no 2 seater by any means, but man, that
little car gets it!  Took 'er up Mt. Hamilton today see what she could do,
and was not at all disappointed.  Found some open road on I-5, in fact lots
of it, and let it go.  Didn't get above 125, but could have.  Think it tops
out around 135.  Couldn't believe how well it handled.  I'd never believed
in FWD until now.  It was almost impossible to oversteer unless I really got
nuts with it, and only a hint of understeer when i, um, could have
negotiated the hairpin with a little more finesse ;)

So I've got the racing bug, and figure my hard driving is better suited to a
controlled environment.  I'll be checking out the details, but could use
some advice from experienced drivers.  In what class would I compete and
against what/who?  It seems my automatic would be a disadvantage in autox,
but the autostick should help, just not off the line.  I mean, I'd be at a
serious disadvantage to an identical Celica with a 6 speed manual, right?
Unless, of course, I was that much better a driver.

Thanks,

Josh