Re: New Mini mini-book (was "Re: Playboy Centerfold")

To: Andy Nguyen <aqn@panix.com>
Subject: Re: New Mini mini-book (was "Re: Playboy Centerfold")
From: John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:24:52 -0500
Andy Nguyen wrote:

>   It's a fun & informative site.
>
>   Unfortunately for me, it's chock full of stuff except for word on when
>   oh when will they have a Mini dealer *anywhere* in this huge state of
>   Taysiz.  Currently, the closest Mini dealer is in the New Orleans
>   vicinity.  Taking delivery there is not a big deal, but what about
>   services & parts? I asked that on the Web site a long time ago and never
>   got an answer.

I thought I addressed that issue once before, Andy.  But I may have
addressed it just to the person who asked the question rather than to
the whole list.  So I'll try again:

As "I" understand it - and I could be way off base here so, if somebody
knows more about the issue, please feel free to chime in!  But, as "I"
understand it, the great state of Texas has a law that says, "If any
automaker is going to offer a car for sale in Texas, it must offer that
car at every one of its dealers in the state."  When BMW introduced the
X5 SUV, it cherry-picked its dealers and the Texas Attorney General
filed suit.  Until that suit is resolved, there can be no designated New
MINI dealers in the Lone Star State.  I could be wrong, but that's the
way that "I" understand it.

On a related note, I've been told that the designated dealer in New
Orleans had a falling-out with BMW and the designation was yanked.  It
has since been assigned to a dealer in Baton Rouge.  I could be wrong on
that count, too, but that's the way that "I" understand it.

If somebody has more current information about either issue, please jump
into the discussion.  I'd like to know, myself!!!  8<{)

I, personally, am sitting back and waiting for the market to shake out
before I make the decision on whether to plunk down the money on a
Cooper S.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman