RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Boxster S reclassification

To: Evolution Discussion <evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Boxster S reclassification
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 21:08:06 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 29 Apr 2002, Andy Hollis wrote:
> All new cars get classed.  That means lots of cars are classed that few
> people want to autocross.  Having a large number of cars in a class does not
> mean that they are more popular or that our autocrossing membership owns (or
> would like to own) them.

And this, IMHO, is why we'll never be able to write general classing
rules.

Back when I used to race motorcycles, they had (relatively) simple
classing rules.  xxx cc, production chassis, etc.  One class for 400cc,
one for 600cc, one for 750cc, and one for over 750cc (and I'm also
simplifying significantly).  Something like 12 classes over all, similar
to autox (once you throw out the ladies classes).

But, and this is _KEY_, nobody expected an '85 Honda Magna to have a
snowball's chance in hell of being competitive.  Consequently, _every_
class was dominated by one or maybe up to three particular models.

I don't see how you're gonna write general specs without accepting that as
being ok, which has always been the stance in autox since I've been
involved.  As soon as you draw a distinction between an S2000 and a miata
and want both to be competitive, you're too far gone to write general
specs.

Mark