Jr Kart Fuel

To: <turbospl311@yahoo.com>
Subject: Jr Kart Fuel
From: "Dan Morency" <DMorency@gwi.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 15:54:06 -0400
Our local club www.CumberlandMotorClub.com in Maine, just went through the
same issue. I talked to reps of WKA and IKF here is the basic scoop:

Both WKA and IKF are sanctioning bodies, they do not actually organize the
races, tracks do while using their classing structure. WKA and IKF stock
classes allow what should be considered EXTENSIVE modifications to a stock 5
HP Brigg's Raptor engine. Heads shaved, carbs bored out and aftermarket cams
etc... A stock engine that is competitive costs between 300 and 700 more
than the stock $300 engine. (Yes $600 - $1000 for a tiller motor!) The
methanol burns much slower and is less volatile, it  has a much higher
octane rating and requires a much higher fuel to air ratio to burn.
Consumption is about 80% higher than gasoline. When "blueprinted" to the
rules and running alcohol about 7 HP can be expected. Methanol costs about
$4.00 a gallon and is very hydroscopic, (absorbs water.)

Since the IKF and WKA organizations are national in nature they found that
any "serious  racer" (their comment, not mine) runs methanol. It is indeed
less volatile it is less likely to flash upon a crash, a very common
occurrence in wheel to wheel racing. It is extremely important to note that
methanol burns very clean and clear, the flames are NOT visible to the naked
eye. If a crash occurs, you MUST douse the area immediately with lots of
water. This water is available at dedicated tracks and safety personnel are
trained to deal with it. This is NOT the case at autocrosses. As a minimum
each kart pit using methanol should have a 5 gallon bucket of water
available and each corner worker, start and finish should have one too. I
personally don't feel that methanol is as safe for autocross use.

Most if not all tracks also have gasoline classes. Since these local classes
do exist our club (NOT a SCCA affiliate) has decided to allow gasoline and
methanol. Reading the SCCA solo rulebook indicates that the intent of the Jr
classes is to allow ANY racing kart to compete, safety being paramount.
Their intent was to avoid "fun karts" but leave the classes open for any
available racing kart. The NER SCCA region (the closest SCCA region to
us)also allows both gasoline and methanol. Since methanol has a higher
output different restrictor plates are used to attempt to equalize engine
output. In our club it has become obvious that a blueprinted methanol motor
with the smaller restrictor can far exceed the output of a non-blueprinted
gasoline engine that uses a larger restrictor opening.

The methanol is corrosive to the aluminum block and all of the seals and the
carb diaphragm. The engine oil becomes contaminated rapidly and diaphragms
are replaced regularly. After each event the fuel must be drained as well as
the oil and running some other fuel through the carb can help avoid engine
damage. It is quite a bit of work for  4-6 minutes of seat time at an
autocross for your child (mine is 10 and runs a stock Brigg's Raptor on gas)

It is important to note that solo competition a karts brakes see severe duty
compared to circle or road track use. Our club has mandated braided
brakelines and does not allow the standard nylon kart brake lines. We did
experience a nylon line failure early in our program.

Dan Morency