Neon head gasket

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Neon head gasket
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 21:59:13 -0500
Hi gang,

I've called a couple independent shops about replacing the head gasket
on my '97 DOHC ACR Neon. They all said I should talk to the 'zone rep'
as that's a recall item. I bought the car new and don't remember being
notified.

Not being all that familiar with the whole dealer service process could
somebody enlighten me. The car's out of warrentee, but when it was at
the dealership under warrantee in 1999 they said the gasket was seeping
and would need to be replaced eventually, at that time the car was 500
miles from the end of the warrantee.

Do I just walk into the service department like a rube and tell my
story? Is it a recall item?

I was going to do the work myself but never seem to have the time. Now
it's leaking 3 quarts a week.

Any advice appriciated,