Re: Gauges in stock?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Gauges in stock?
From: Steven Fooshee <sfooshee@clubrx.org>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 10:47:13 -0500
Keath Marx wrote:

> Okay, here is the thing.  I have an 02 Celica GT.  I have been
> autocrossing it since it had 800 miles on the OD.  Currently I am not
> too concerned about the engine or anything.  But an incident with a
> friend's Miata made think more about this.  (the 99 miata had to have
> the engine replaced due to an oil problem)
>
> I have been thinking about adding some gauges for temp and pressure at
> some point as I want to keep an eye on those things when the engine gets
> more worn.  (currently 15,000 miles)  I planned on getting one of those
> gauge pods for the pillar (I really don't like the look of them but then
> again keeping the motor in one piece is more important than looks.)

There is no reason to put gauges on the a-pillar besides having them in
plain view. Pressure and temp gauges really don't need constant
monitoring and I think you'd be less frustrated with the gauges in the
future if you put them elsewhere on the dash. On the a-pillar they'll
just be blocking your view, and if you're trying to look at them during
a run, well, you're not going to do very well! :-D

If you're worried about oil starvation under high loads (a genuine
concern with a stock engine and autox tires), you can get one of the
expensive Greddy or HK$ gauges with an alarm integrated in it.

> I'm
> thinking that by putting the gauges in now I can get used to what they
> look like when things are good and be more readily able to notice a
> change in the future. From some posts I have read on newcelica.org the
> temp sending unit is extremely accurate the gauge on the dash is just
> not very finely graduated (basically notches along it instead of a
> sweep)

Modern RX-7 dash temp gauges are like this (fortunately I've got an
older RX-7 :), the needle goes to the center two minutes after the
engine's running and stays there until it starts to melt. There's a way
to defeat this but I do not know it off the top of my head, but at least
you know there's something to search for.

> My question is twofold.
> 1) Will mounting gauges affect my Stock class eligibility?
>
> 2) What should I monitor?  Water temp., Oil pressure.  No turbo so no
> boost.  Not so worried about the electrical system.  Oil temperature was
> mentioned to me by a mechanic.

If you're worried about oil starvation a pressure gauge will tell you,
but you'll need a copilot to tell you about it. Water and/or oil temp
will tell you if you're abusing the engine and its cooling capacity by
spending a minute or so at full throttle. And they'll tell you after the
run when you can pay attention to them.
--
---
Electricity: Electrons in motion.

Road racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something
salty.
                - Peter Egan
-