Re: minimum weight requirement and IT competitiveness in SP.

To: "Brian Davis" <brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: minimum weight requirement and IT competitiveness in SP.
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2002 18:14:26 -0500
From: "Brian Davis" <brian.davis@rose-hulman.edu>

> Can you clarify this for me?  I am currently building an ITS car (Honda
del
> Sol) and was wanting to run it in DSP as well.  Why will it be
> uncompetitive?

Maybe it will be competitive locally.  I have seen IT cars do well locally.
But against serious Street Prepared competition on a National level?  No.
The reasons are many.  I have mentioned some of them below.

>It will be some lighter than I could ever get it in DSP.

With a full roll cage?  What do you get to take out that can compensate for
that?  Especially considering the effect on the height of center of mass?

> It
> won't be allowed a few HP mods (intake manifold, throttle body, and as
> sophisticated of FI),

You bet, but I'm more concerned about the cornering limits.

> but I get to run whatever FD I want, which should
> close to equalize that.

Maybe, maybe not.  If they are working near the top of second gear, say,
what is your lower final-drive ratio getting you?  The only situation that I
can see is certainly an advantage is the launch.  That is not a factor in
some courses.  (Not a factor in a properly-designed non-ProSolo course,
IMHO, but that is another discussion.)

> It seems to me that the car fully prepped to either
> spec would be pretty even.

How about the fact that the other guys can run whatever size wheels and
tires they like, and flare or radius the wheelwells so they fit?  I recently
saw (lost to, actually) an ASP Elan with wheels nine inches wide.  What are
you allowed in your IT car?   What are you expecting to happen if you come
up against a Honda del Sol with nine-inch-wide wheels?

How about the fact that they have no limits on ride height?  Don't you have
a measurement requirement in IT for height at the rocker panel?

Not trying to pile on here, but the fact remains that the IT clause in the
rules is a convenience, not an attempt to say that the cars will be
competitive.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa 65/2597, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.lotusowners.com