Need a legal eagle

To: "Autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Need a legal eagle
From: "Knuckledragger" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:35:28 -0500
I've got a legal question for any folks in the audience that are more versed
in legalese than myself.  Specifically regarding traffic laws.

Here's the deal.  About a month ago I received a ticket for expired tags and
"following too closely".  Yes, the tags were expired as I simply hadn't got
around to renewing them.  And yes, at the exact moment that the officer
chose to light up the morning sky with his cherries, I was indeed following
too closely (for his taste) to the vehicle in front of me.

To make a long story short, I pulled into the next left lane and the car
that I pulled in behind chose then to slow down, decreasing the gap between
us and therefore in the eyes of Johnny Law I was following the other car too
closely.

Anyway, here's my quandary.  I called the county courthouse today to ask the
DA's office what I should bring with me.  Stuff like proof of
re-registration, proof of insurance, a fat wallet, etc.  But when they went
to search their computer system for my "account", my name was nowhere to be
found.

After much searching, they found my "account" listed under "Linhoff, Eric".
My legal name is Linnhoff, Eric, with two n's in my last name.  I looked at
the ticket that the officer awarded me and low & behold, there too was this
Linhoff guy's name.

Now I don't know about you, but I would sure think that I could get off
scott-free on the technicality that I am not this "Linhoff" character that
was pulled over that fateful morning one month ago.  My legal birth name is
"Linnhoff, with two n's.  My specific question to those who have much
greater knowledge of such things than do I is, do I have a legal leg to
stand on with this line of argument?

Eric Linnhoff in KC
'98 Dodge Neon STS #69
www.geocities.com/eric10mm/KnuckleDragger
"A banker is a fellow who lends you his umbrella when the sun is shining,
but wants it back the minute it begins to rain."
Mark Twain