Re: Need a legal eagle

To: "Knuckledragger" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>,
Subject: Re: Need a legal eagle
From: Erik Van-der-Mey <autox@webcentrix.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:45:07 -0500
At 4:35 PM -0500 10/24/02, Knuckledragger wrote:
>I've got a legal question for any folks in the audience that are more versed
>in legalese than myself.  Specifically regarding traffic laws.

<snip>

>Now I don't know about you, but I would sure think that I could get off
>scott-free on the technicality that I am not this "Linhoff" character that
>was pulled over that fateful morning one month ago.  My legal birth name is
>"Linnhoff, with two n's.  My specific question to those who have much
>greater knowledge of such things than do I is, do I have a legal leg to
>stand on with this line of argument?

You used to be able to get off on technicalities like this years ago,
but here in Illinois they just amend the ticket in court (i.e. fix
the spelling error and move forward).

5 years ago I was "awarded" a ticket for 80 in a 55. Problem was that
it was the actual posted speed limit was 65. 25 over was traffic
school territory where 15 over was just a fine. I brought it to the
judge's attention and the DA just amended the ticket to reflect the
actual posted speed. I left court $70 lighter and not having to
attend traffic school. I don't think many judges are receptive to
contesting errors like this (traffic court is huge revenue source
these days -- and judges don't like giving free passes).

IMHO, if your driver's license number is on the ticket/docket, they
will probably just ignore the officer's spelling mistake.

Regards,
--
Erik's Auto Emporium...                      http://erik.vandermey.net
'97 Dodge Neon ACR - Lapis Blue: $5500