Re: Warm Tires -- proposed rules (revised)

To: Matthew Braun <matthew@powerplug.com>, "Team.Net"
Subject: Re: Warm Tires -- proposed rules (revised)
From: Sam Strano <strano@stranoparts.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:40:02 -0500
At 02:16 AM 10/30/02, Matthew Braun wrote:
>1. Tire warming before reporting to grid is prohibited.

This one is going to be impossible to police.....  I'll admit that I
generally take my car out for a ride before I run, but I do it because I
like to get the trans fluid and gear oil at least a little up to temp
first, and I warm the brakes some (I sometimes runs race pads that need
some heat to work effectively).  Seriously, at three pro's this year I ran
my fast run of the 4 in the group on cold tires.  Cold tires really don't
bother me.........

>2. For two-driver cars, all tire warming (heat preservation) devices
>    (active and passive blankets, wind blockers, car wraps, etc.) are
>    prohibited.  Single driver cars are allowed to use passive blankets
>    over only the tires (no full car wraps or other wind blockers).

I like the idea.  I don't use any kind of blankets anyway with single or
two drivers, but if this is a big deal it would help.  BUT, I can see a lot
of trouble with the timing of 2nd driver runs.  If driver #111 runs right
on 5 minutes and #112 has to wait for a sweep and sits 6.5 minutes.  Not
that it doesn't happen now, but might be more fuel to the fire because of
the lack of opportunity to retain heat in grid.....  MHO.  I don't really
like the car wraps, I think that they artificial tire warmers, for lack of
a better term.....  Again, just my humble opinion.

>3. Each driver of a two driver car is required to run first one day of
>    two-day events.  On the first day, drivers with the lower car number
>    will run first.  On the second day, drivers with the higher car
>    number will run first.

I see no reason that wouldn't work, and I surely wouldn't mind ........  :-)