Re: Warm Tires -- proposed rules (revised)

To: matthew@powerplug.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Warm Tires -- proposed rules (revised)
From: TeamZ06@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 04:14:04 EST
IMO this is a minority viewpoint and the SEB has bigger fish to fry.

>From an operational perspective, I see an issue with drivers pulling into
grid at the last possible minute; it will start with one or two cars,
suddenly a majority will be doing it.  IMO the desire to set a time limit to
be in grid is a worthy issue that should be addressed.  Otherwise, I don't
see the issue with passive tire blankets or car wraps.  If anything, it seems
to me that eliminating them will further skew the advantage to 2-driver
teams.  Sometimes I use them, sometimes I don't; didn't at the '02 Nat's.
IMO, they are generally over-used and over-rated, but they are also low cost,
equally available to everyone, and don't create operational issues.  It all
sums up to "non-issue" for me.

Further, you can't differentiate between whether I drive my car to the store,
take it out to warm the brakes and fluids, or am intentionally warming the
tires.  It's not something that can be regulated and attempting to do so will
be nothing short of a PITA on top of everything else that needs to be
addressed by the event officials.  IMO it erodes credibility for the rest of
the proposal.

Mark Sipe