Moriss Pricing for ShockTek service now availible

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Moriss Pricing for ShockTek service now availible
From: dg50@daimlerchrysler.com
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 11:05:27 -0500
[Please forgive the spam - I'm just trying to normalize my ShockTek karma
here by reaching as many former ShockTek customers as I can. I think this
should be the last post I need to do on this.]

Moriss Dampers now has pricing information on services for former ShockTek
shocks:

http://www.morissdampers.com/data/bilstein&shocktekserv.pdf

The highlights:

Option 1) Convert ShockTek single adjustables to Bilstien take-aparts
    - Replace troublesome ShockTek custom rod with Bilstien rod
    - Install Shraeder valve in shock foot
    - General service (clean/repaint, replace seals, new oil)

This converts a ShockTek into a "real Bilstien" meaning that any Bilstein
service centre can work on the shock. It also converts the shock into a
"take-apart" than can be degassed/disassembled/revalved without the use of
special tools, meaning that you can revalve them yourself at home.

The downside is that the converted shock is non-adjustable - you will have
to revalve them to change the damping characteristics.

Price: $124 per shock

Option 2) Convert ShockTek single adjustables to Bilstien "take-apart"
single adjustables
   - Replace troublesome ShockTek custom rods with Bilstein
     adjustable rod
   - Replace valve stack and piston (keep same valving or
     change to new spec)
   - General service (clean/repaint, replace seals, new oil)

This converts a ShockTek into a "real Bilstein" with all the advantages of
Option 1, but uses a Bilstein adjustable rod, thus retaining the single
adjustment feature.

A new piston/valvestack is required as well (because the diameter of the
rod where it meets the piston is larger on the adjustable version, so the
old piston won't fit) so you can take advantage of that and specify new
valving if you want.

The Bilstein adjuster is also much more positive and has a larger range of
adjustment than the ShockTek adjuster, so this is actually an upgrade. The
shock you get back will be better than what you first purchased.

Sadly, the wholesale cost of the Bilstein adjustable rod is not as cheap as
one may have wished - that's where the price jump is.

Price: $328 per shock

FOR 1995-1999 TALON/ECLIPSE

If you are using the Ground Control front upper spring perches (the magenta
aluminum plate thingies) you are doing damage to your suspension. The
shock/spring assembly actually moves quite a bit fore/aft when the steering
wheel is turned, and the Ground Control mount does not move with the shock.
This puts a very large bending force on the spring and shock rod.

To fix this, you need a upper spring perch that stays co-axial with the
shock rod.

Moriss now makes such a beast. It includes a replacement plate with a
spherical bearing to locate the shock rod, and a co-axial spring seat.
Works with any coilover shock. Availible for front (where it is definately
needed) and rear (where it's a good idea)

Price: $150 each

Also in the pipeline is a lower front control arm converted to use 1 (SP)
or 2 (SM) spherical bearings. Pricing TBD soon.

Thanks,

DG