Okay, so now what?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Okay, so now what?
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 00:21:24 -0700 (MST)
Ah, a classic example of how an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
My 1987 Honda Civic Si is the only vehicle I've ever purchased from new.  It
had 7 miles on the odometer when I first drove it.  Now it shows 133,3XX
miles, and sits at the shop perched on jackstands, waiting for me to deal
with it.  I'm ready to dig into it and get it back on the road.  A one ton
cargo van that tips the scales at nearly 6,000 pounds and can drag along twice
its weight while barely breaking a sweat certainly has a place in a racer's
vehicle wardrobe, but the daily drive to work and fetching groceries is not
the best use of such a beast.  I want my little black Honda back.

So with the head off the engine and various parts scattered about, I'm thinking
about what to do with the Civic.  I think I threw out my Jackson Racing and
Lightspeed catalogs a few years back - I got them in '87 when I bought the car,
they may have been out of date.  And Triumphs I know about, Hondas I don't.

Should I just go with standard parts from the dealer to get it back together?
Is there a slightly sportier cam I can drop in to get a bit more grunt?  Maybe
an exhaust header that improves the Si's breathing a bit?  I ought to replace
the front shocks while I'm fussing with it, any recommendations on what to get?
Any good Honda related websites I should check out?  I've spent a few hours
already studying http://www.acsu.buffalo.edu/~attse/honduh.htm for some clues
to enlightenment.

The plan is to just use the car as a daily driver and reserve various
Triumphs for real racing, but it might be nice to tweak things a bit while
I'm doing the valve job and some suspension work.  And some sunday morning
when I'm running late and too lazy to load up a Spitfire, I may just drive
the Si to the event and slap some Street Mod, Street Prepared, whatever
numbers on it.

So if you have some constructive suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
mjb.