Re: Miata wheel studs

To: scott@tengen.com, Lloyd.Wilson@Alcan.Com
Subject: Re: Miata wheel studs
From: JIMVICMORE@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 18:03:29 EDT
Scott,

Sorry you and a few others I've seen are having problems with wheel studs.
You might put a little anti-seize on the threads but insure none gets on the
back of the lug nut (bearing surface area) as that might allow you to tighten
it too much (even with a torque wrench since the friction is less) and
stretch the threads. That could eventually result in cross threading because
of the stretched threads. Next, always hand start each nut before using a
fast zip-on type wrench. And last don't tighten more than about 75 ft/lbs
with your torque wrench. Hope this helps as it has worked for me in over five
years of Miata wheel changing.

Jim Moore