Re: wheel studs and lug nuts

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wheel studs and lug nuts
From: Gene Bennett <mlinkesq@impala-ss.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 08:53:00 -0700
Scott wrote:

> Anyone know where I can get ahold of some stronger wheel studs?
>
> Seems as though the constant changes of tires for the autocross days
> are
> causing me fits in changing out studs that are stripped and what not.

Scott

OK, you've gotten a lot of advice, I'm going to pile on.  I don't know
from Miatae, I don't drive one.  But what I'm saying is vehicle
independent.

Yes, definitely hand thread them before you put any kind of wrench on
them; I usually spin at least two or three revolutions.  Now, what does
your service manual (or owner's manual) say about thread prep and
torque value?  If it says 75 pound-feet dry, DON'T torque them to 75
pound-feet lubricated!  You will be stretching the stud more than the
design stretch.  It depends on what lube you are using, but adding a
lube to the mix will likely cause the strain in the studs to increase
by roughly 25-50% at a given torque reading.  What you are after is a
given stress in the stud (the amount of stretch) to get a given strain
(the clamping force.)

How are you handling the nuts when you change tires?  Just throwing
them on the ground?  Is the ground sandy?  That was the problem the
only time I buggered a thread at an autocross.  Are you using a torque
wrench?  Maybe you are overtightening them.  If so, lube will only make
things worse and you may even break one.

Wheel studs should last at least a few years, even with frequent tire
changes.  But if you think that the stock ones are not good enough,
look for some Dorman studs at a good parts house; probably the best
ones out there and they have fitments for almost everything.

Gene