Extra Techie: shock shaft velocities in Solo?

To: "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Extra Techie: shock shaft velocities in Solo?
From: "Andy Hollis" <awhollis@swbell.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 15:35:02 -0500
>From: GRMPer@aol.com

>Here's an extra technical question....Has anybody ever put data acquisition
>equipment on a Solo 2 car to figure out shock shaft velocity on a typical
>course?   1ft./sec....1m/sec....?

Guy Ankeny has done so, I believe and I know that Tommy Saunders has.  But
the actual shaft velocities depend on the motion ratio of the particular
vehicle.  That can change the number easily by a factor of 2+.

>The question comes up in regards to low speed or high speed bump damping
and
>what actually helps.   My understanding is that the low speed stuff helps
on
>turn in/roll control on corner entry, while higher speed damping is more
>related to damping over road irregularities/pavement changes/expansion
>joints.

That's a good generality.  Lateral body roll and fore-aft pitch are low
velocity events at the shock shaft.  Surface irregularities are high speed.
But because of the valving system designs in most "normal" shocks, these two
get tied together quite a bit.  One of the benefits of fancy shocks is the
ability to valve each part of the curve more independently.

--Andy