re: vehicle ID proposal

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: vehicle ID proposal
From: "Charles" <golden1@britsys.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:14:23 -0400
Being a designer, I am aware of the problems this proposal is addressing, but
I would NOT want to see it pass unless there was some allowance for approval
of non-complying markings that meet the "spirit" of the rule.
Case in point:
Check out the pictures on the bottom of page 26 of the Sept 2002 SportsCar. (I
can send anyone a scan that didn't save the "Who will win?"  issue) The
markings on our Celica would violate every part of this proposed rule except
size and typeface match, yet I believe you would have to agree they are
certainly legible even at a great distance, therefore meet the "spirit" of the
rule.
One the other hand, check the picture of the Mieritz CSP car on the same page.
The class markings WOULD meet the criteria of this proposal yet I can testify
from personal experience they are even more difficult to read on course than
in the picture. (Not trying to pick on Steve, it just happens to be a perfect
example of markings I found difficult to read while doing raw sheet scoring on
course) Even if they were solid black, I doubt it would make a significant
improvement in legibility.
Let's leave some room for creativity in this sport. Ever watch an IROC race
where every car is marked alike? BORING!!!! and because of all that visual
uniformity it even makes the large sized driver's name on each car difficult
to read. Let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater and make this sport
as visually interesting as a page of want ads.
One common problem I'd like to see eliminated tho is the use of masking tape
to change # s. Too many times I have to ask: is that stripe of blue tape over
the 3 on a car with a permanent number 361 (a hypothetical example this time)
mean it is to be scored as 61 or 161 since it may actually be either in
different cases. If a marking needs to be covered, it should be COMPLETELY
covered, or at least X'd over. Tape should never be allowed to substitute for
a number. If a marking is lost at the event, then I'd suggest a panel of tape
be placed on the car and a magic marker be used to draw a large enough marking
to be legible on the tape.
Personally I think that if class and # marking legibility were checked as part
of the tech inspection, we wouldn't need a rigid rule like this.