Re: Vehicle Identification Proposal

To: "Pat Kelly" <lollipop487@attbi.com>
Subject: Re: Vehicle Identification Proposal
From: "David W. James" <vnend@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:33:49 -0400
On Saturday, April 26, 2003, at 12:09 PM, Pat Kelly wrote:
>     An interesting discussion, esp about red & black. If one is
> changing
> photos from color to black and white, often red turns into black,
> unless it
> is a lighter shaded red. I think shades/contrast of colors has a lot
> to do
> with their readability, light & dark.

        That should depend on how you do it; if you shoot with a red/orange
filter then the red should show up very light; if you shoot with a blue
or green filter it will turn out darker, if not completely black.  Then
there are the electronic versions of the same conversion (if your
graphics program allows it, take a look at the individual channels; the
difference between the red/blue/green channels can be striking,
depending on the subject and the colors involved.

        The classic rule from English heraldry is "No color on color nor metal
on metal."  where gold (yellow) and silver (white) are the metals and
the colors are pretty basic; red, blue, black, green and purple.
Exceptions are rare in English heraldry, even from the earliest days of
their use of heraldry.  Other countries had different standards, but,
in general, the rule of tincture (the quoted part above) is more or
less observed.  It definitely helps to improve recognition, and is
still used today for the same reason (think: road signs and business
signs.  The deer sign and the Shell logo are classic examples.)  If you
want to ensure that your car's numbers are recognizable, it is still
the way to go.

David