Looking for a shop north of L.A.

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Looking for a shop north of L.A.
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 02:20:24 EDT
I have moved from outside of Chicago, to Los Angeles. I have not been to an
autocross since the end of last season in Chicago. My car was in peices when I
moved out here. To make maters worse, it is still in peices and still north of
Chicago. I am looking into getting it towed out here, but then I have to get
it back together.

To make this story fairly short. I am looking for an autocrosser friendly
shop that works on Toyotas. I live about 40 miles north of L.A. (still in L.A.
County) and all the shops I have found either work on Hondas or off road
trucks.
At least the off roads guys work on alot of Toyotas. My big hurdle though is
putting in an engine that will be legal under C.A.R.B. rules and still make
some nice power. The car was street legal in Illinois, and set up for SMod
making it was making about 300 hp thanks to a custom turbo setup that I knew
wouldn't fly out here. I sold the turbo motor and have been looking into what I
can
put in the car legally. Being a 1983 makes it a bit easier, but....  Crossing
the SM and CARB rules, it looks like a newer Toyota engine from an equal
weight class car with all of the factory emissions controls intact. UGH. Since
I am
rear drive, a Lexus V-8 looks good. 280 hp 4.0L V-8. Or a 3.0L V-6 with a TRD
blower, about the same power but shorter and lighter. A Supra 2JZ might also
fit, but it is long and heavy, but POWERFUL!! Too bad we have to turn.

Any ideas would be very helpful. I figure it will be another full season
before I have it back together so I just may have to run our old 1992 4 banger
Camry in HS to shake the dust out of my brain.

Gary M.
GSMnow@aol.com