Mazda MPV rant

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Mazda MPV rant
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 00:08:25 -0400
Hey Guys,

I have a 2000 Mazda MPV, the first year of the Second Generation body style.
Right now it has just over 45,000 miles on it. I purchased it for the wife
used with about 24,000 on the clock.

We have had a suspension noise apparent when the car turns. It sounded like
a collapsed upper stut bearing.

Today, I was changing oil on the thing and bitching about the bolts shearing
off when I tried to take the off the splash apron to get at the filter.  I
noticed that the rod that connects the sway bar to the strut housing on the
right side was hanging loose. Further poking found that both the  upper and
lower ball joints of the rod were totally shot. Both ball ends were rusted
and pitted. The nylon wear surfaces inside the ball sockets were worn as
well. The bolts securing it to the bar and the strut housing were rusted to
the point of requiring force to get the pieces off. It looks like a trip to
the dealer tomorrow.

Since I've owned this van I have had to replace the mass air sensor, the
coil packs, a set of front brake pads, the drivers door electric window
motor and transmission and now a sway bar link.

I find this array of broken parts and bolts very disturbing for a Mazda. Jap
cars are supposed to be bulletproof. My 1990 MPV only broke a timing belt
under 100,000 miles. I'm beginning to wonder if  this van is going to make
100K. Has any other member of Team.Net experienced this many problems with a
second gen MPV? I would be very interested to know.

Autocross related...the 2000 MPV doesn't  have enough power to tow even the
lightest autocross car, nor does it feel substantial enough to do so without
serious body twisting.

Larry Steckel