STX cat rule history please.

To: "Autox" <Autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: STX cat rule history please.
From: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 22:04:36 -0500
I'm attempting to get a clarification from HQ on something.  Can someone
please give me the basic historical rundown of the whole STX cat
change/relocation allowance?

On one hand I'm being told that I can't relocate the catalytic converter on
my STS car even few inches to facilitate a header installation because the
distance from the head to the cat is hyper-critical to the cat's proper
function and continued emissions compliance.  I'm also being told that to
even increase the length of the piping between the head and the OE cat
location would effectively be relocating it and also not legal.  On the
other hand, STX gets an allowance that not only allows the replacement of
multiple properly functioning cats with a single hi-flow unit, a MAJOR EPA
no-no, but they are allowed to relocate it up to 6" from the OE location.

If we, STS & STX, are both supposed to be "emissions" classes, as defined by
Section 17, and remain emission legal, how did STX get an allowance that
allows them to tamper with their emissions equipment so blatantly?  The way
I see it, either we both (STS & STX) get the same allowance when it comes to
altering one of the single most defining aspects of our category, or neither
of us should get the allowance.

Eric Linnhoff
#69 STS
B.U.D. Racing