Portable Tire Changers

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Portable Tire Changers
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:10:02 -0500
I need to poll the collective wisdom of the list on this one - even
though I think I know what the answer's going to be.

I know you've seen these so-called "portable tire changers" advertised
at Harbor Freight Tools, Northern, J.C. Whitney, and other places.  They
normally sell for about 70-bucks.  Right now, Harbor Freight has them on
sale for half-price -- $34.99.

If you're not familiar with what I'm talking about, go to:
http://www.harborfreight.com/ and then key in item # 34542

Question is -- how many of you have used, or tried to use, these things?
  Would it be worth $35 to mount my own 13-inch slicks or should I just
keep paying the local tire shop to mount them for me?  The picture in
the catalog really doesn't tell me much about the thing.  What's been
your experience with it?  Since it doesn't use electricity or air
pressure, do you have to be a gorilla to operate the thing?  If so, I'd
be SOL!!!  8<{)

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman