RE: Phoenix Chamber email address

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <davekizerian@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: Phoenix Chamber email address
From: "Clay Turner" <clay-turner@am.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:23:25 -0600
Bill, Charlie, et al,

Thanks for the emails. You both make good points. The accounts I've read in
the last 24 hours paint a pretty complete picture of the problem.

I provided the Chamber's email address for those members who want to voice an
opinion; I didn't suggest what those opinions should be. And while the AMP may
not be in the Phoenix Chamber's area, my hotel certainly was: you can be sure
that the impact of this decision reaches beyond the boundaries of the
Southwest Valley Chamber, and chambers talk to one another.

In my email to them, I wanted them to know the impact on our members of the
decision to immediately revoke the permit; was the situation really so
critical that it required immediate remedy?

I didn't comment on the permit process, or make any judgement about either
side. However, their last-minute actions had a very serious impact on many
SCCA members, and I wanted our voice to be heard somewhere in the process.

By the way, Lindsay Wilson has provided contact info for the Southwest Valley
Chamber below.

Thanks.

Clay

-------------------------------

Please also send your letters to the Southwest Valley Chamber of Commerce.
This is the Chamber closest to Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP.)
It includes the cities of Goodyear and Litchfield Park which are closest to
AMP.

    Southwest Valley Chamber of Commerce
    289 N. Litchfield Rd., Goodyear, AZ 85338
    Phone: (623)932-2260 & Fax: (623)932-9057
        http://www.southwestvalleychamber.org/

> ----------

Then
> telling them how many outsiders were planning on being there will only
reinforce
> their opinion that they were lied to.
>
> It might help to get the wording of the variance and the owner of the
property
> in on the discussion so that the actual ground rules are known PLUS
whatever
> verbal assurances were made to get the variance.  The written part is legal
> but if verbal assurances were made and not lived up to, that could make the
> council not want to cut the owner any slack on other things such as missing
> permits.
>
> From the messages that have been posted, it sounds like the owner of the
place
> may have shot himself in the foot.
> If I get a building permit for remodeling a bathroom, I would look like a
fool
> if I razed my house and built a 5 million dollar replacement then
complained
> about the city for telling me to take it down.
>
> >If you'd like to contact the Phoenix Chamber of Commerce, their email
address

> >is info@phoenixchamber.com, according to their Web site.
> >
> >Thanks.
> >
> >Clay Turner
> >BMW M Roadster
> >BS 180
> >
> >> ----------

Hotel,

> >> food, supplies, gas, etc... Please make sure they know how this affected
>
> >the
> >> town!
> >>
> >> Here is a very basic minimun expense calculation for a weekend of racing
>
> >for
> >> me...
> >>
> >> 2 nights hotel x 60   = 120
> >> Snacks, water, groceries = 50
> >> Gas = 10
> >> Diesel = 55
> >> Restaurants = 50
> >> ----------------------->
> >> Total - 285
> >>
> >> This is about what I'd expect to spend in the immediate area if I had
gone

> >> to the NT. I'm on a fairly tight budget, and stay at the cheaper motels,
>
> >but
> >> I think it's safe to say the town around the event lost a fair chunk of
> >> cash.  If there were 200 competitors, and no one else, and each went on
my

> >> budget, then the town lost  $57,000 in two days, lets say that
> >approximately
> >> 3/4 of the competitors had significant others and/or kids,  most of the
> >> hotel rates wouldn't go up drastically, but other items would go up...
the