Street Mod rule question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Street Mod rule question
From: GSMnow@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:45:46 EDT
I am in the process of an engine swap in my auto cross car. The engine is a
Lexus V8 going into a my 83 Toyota Celica, so it is within the motor swap rule
of the same parent company, but I also have to change a few other things to
make it all work. The transmission support cross member has to be fabbed, but
that is no diferent than a Civic with Hassport motor mounts. I also had to dent
the firewall for some clearance, but even that is allowed in the rules. My
strut tower brace has to be re-worked to clear the intake so I was wondering if
there was any agreement if it is legal to go with a 3 point brace, as in across
the towers and back to the firewall. I know Mustangs run them, but since
there was a factory 3 point in one it is even legal in SP for them. If I have
keep it just tower to tower I will, but it is going to lose alot of strength
having to go around the back of the intake manifold.

The entire swap is being done to California emissions specs, meaning the
motor will be all stock with all of the cat's and intake baffles etc. It is
actually going to be less powerfull than the turbo motor I had, but there was
no way
to make that CA legal. This has come out to be my best choice to be both SM
and CA legal and come close to the power I had. The only real down side so far
is I will be changing from the 5 speed manual to a 4 speed auto trans as the
Lexus ECU controls the trans and is part of the emissions control.

And for those wondering, the all aluminum 4.0L V8 is not much (if any)
heavier than the iron 2.4L, especially when you figure in the all cast iron
turbo
manifold and all the other crap that is no longer in the car. The intercooler
will be traded for a trans cooler. The motor is in and the front ride height
has
not changed. Basically I am giving up 50 hp or so, but also giving up the
lag. With my current gearing and tire size, the car should do about 68 mph in
second gear, and with the auto, maybe I can learn to left foot brake.

Gary M.
42 SM from 3 years ago at nationals
I have not raced since ;-(