Subject: Truck vrs. trailer

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Subject: Truck vrs. trailer
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:11:08 -0400
In Atlanta we used to have a large box van to haul all the event stuff
and tow a small timing trailer. The problem was that the vehicle got
driven so seldomly that it sprung all kinds of leaks and it became a
maintenance nightmare. Then we decided to drive it about 120 miles to a
divisional and blew the engine.

We made a decision to get rid of the truck and the trailer and bought a
20' box trailer and had windows put in both sides. We have A/C and can do
both T&S and registration out of one climate controlled environment.

If we need to haul the trailer to an event we rent a 1-ton diesel van
from Ryder. They do the maintenance and keep up the insurance. This has
worked out to be less problematic, and less liability, than the old
truck/trailer rig. I think asking members to haul the trailer to events
is asking too much.

Ben Thatcher
http://ApexBenefits.biz