Travel Sharing, Anyone?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Travel Sharing, Anyone?
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2005 21:50:44 EDT
Tough decisions for some of us right now, I'm thinking.

Some time ago there were discussions regarding whether or not changes in fuel
prices would affect competitors' plans to travel to events, particularly
those in other parts of the country.  I recall opining that going to FL for a
Tour
did not seem at all cost effective, compared to the former possibility of
running both Tour and Pro on successive weekends there.  That was for motoring
down I-75 from Michigan, and IIRC, the price for a gallon of regular was in the
$1.75 range.

Now that most local stations are showing digits which look like $3.35, I
can't be the only entrant questioning the wisdom of a nearly 2000 mile round
trip,
even for the Solo Nationals in Topeka.  To illustrate the change in cost,
fuel for the 2004 adventure ran in the vicinity of $350.  This year, at even
$3/gallon, I am looking at $550.  $4/gallon means $730 or more.  Dang!  This is
getting expensive!

An ideal situation for me would be to take along a rider who is driving
someone else's car at the event, and who would be willing to kick in cash to
offset
the fuel expense, rather than take a flight.  Tough to come by....  Anyone in
Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois?

I have been giving thought to other options, including flying myself, and
riding along with someone else.  Unfortunately, those options require
compromises
of their own, including sharing a room instead of staying at Lake Shawnee,
and running only the National and not the Pro Finale.

Tough choices, all, and none seem to fit with me yet.

Alan

(Yes, I realize that my dilemma and situation are a mole hill when compared
to the mountainous challenges so very many people in part of this country are
facing right now.  I don't think I am whining, just asking whether others feel
they are similarly affected.)