Re: New roadsters

To: autox@autox.team.net, alandahl@mac.com
Subject: Re: New roadsters
From: PbPied@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 19:39:58 EST
I agree with Mr. Dahl, having had an opportunity to drive a completely
stock Solstice @ 95% in an autocross setting a little more than
a week ago.  Very long course, combination smooth concrete and
older sealed asphalt, dry conditions.  Total time around 87 seconds.
Five years ago when I ran my shifter kart on that course I did 75.
With much more experience, I'd expect to be a little faster than that
now, but probably not more than a second or two.

I only got two passes, and am convinced there was a bit more time
in the Solstice.  Note that it was on street rubber, regular street tire
pressures too.  Other drivers included the infamous Byron Short
and the reenergized Jim Susko.  Our times were very similar, so I'd
believe no-one was sandbagging or going for broke.  ;-)

Of note is the direct responsiveness in the steering, particularly from
a "straight ahead" mode into a lane change, turn, or slalom maneuver.
The car reacts so quickly to off-center steering inputs that running
over entry cones would have been an issue...  EXCEPT that a quick
unwind and rewind did not disturb the car at all.  It just followed!  No
tendency to push on corner entry was noted.  A mid-corner understeer
could be had by being just plain too fast for the radius or coefficient of
friction available.  The car "sits down" on corner exit under WOT; I did
not sense any issue with power oversteer.

I'm hooked on what I am driving right now, but if I were to think in
terms of running a car again, this one would be at or near the top
of a short list.  I came away from less than 4 minutes of seat time
very impressed with how well it works.  Heck, I had a really big grin
going, and these days it takes a real great ride to get that out of
me.  A bit jaded by F125 performance, maybe?

Part of what I think will sell the Solstice is the $20K price tag.  While
GM works on fit issues with the soft top, production is slow, and
from what I gather, max volume is to be maybe 20K units when the
plant gets into full swing.  No sales pitch here, but I really think Pontiac
has a winner on their hands, an affordable real American sports car!
Without a Miata to compare back-to-back, I can't address directly the
strengths or weaknesses...  But even with the normally aspirated engine,
this car does not seem to lack power anywhere in the rev range.  When
the Turbo package hits, sales of the MazdaSpeed Miata will stall???

Alan Sheidler