Writers for Nationals

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Writers for Nationals
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:34:09 -0500
   If you like to write, consider being part of the crew providing the
coverage in SportsCar Magazine for the 34th Solo II Nationals.

   I need about two dozen writers to cover the event and so far I have 17. I
need a few more to cover both Thursday-Friday classes (people driving
Tuesday-Wednesday) and the Tuesday-Wednesday classes (preferably
Thursday-Friday drivers). [See Run Days list at bottom of this message]

   The perks are:

1-This counts as your work assignment, and

2-You do NOT have to work on the days you run

   The necessaries are:

1-I prefer people who are there all four days (enabling #2 above)

2-You have to get stories back to me within a about week (October 9 deadline)

   While our publication schedule is a little bit looser this year -- it's
going in the December issue -- we still have a fairly tight timeframe to get
it done before the Runoffs, which actually will be under way as we wrap this
project up.

   No one should have to write up more than two classes (Open and Ladies are
considered one class for story purposes). The basic job is to be there when
the classes are running, talk to a couple of the key players, then write a
story (likely after you get home) of about 500 words.

   You e-mail it to me, I do the editing and fact checking, and perhaps plug
in some historical perspective, and send it to the magazine. I also take care
of preparing all results for publication, so you do not have to worry about
that.

   Great writing talent is secondary to just being there. I can edit most
anything into a reasonable narrative, but the eyes and ears of the reporters
are invaluable. This is like the good old days of hot-lead journalism --
you're the ace reporter, I'm "rewrite." I send you a brief "how-to" with the
story assignments.

   If you can be part of the crew this year, please answer this post telling
me:

1. Your name

2. Mailing address

3. Phone numbers (home & work)

4. e-mail address

5. Your Social Security Number

6. Your class, days you run [see schedule below]

7. What day you plan to arrive/leave Topeka

8. Where you plan to stay in Topeka (motel, etc.)

9. Any preferences for classes you'd like to cover

10. Second choice for event work assignment in case I can't use you as a
writer.

   I'll confirm your reply, but assignments are not made until the run/work
order is known in late August.

   If you enter using the entry form in SportsCar or the flyer mailed from
SCCA, in the "Worker Information" area circle "OTHER" and write in
"SportsCar." If registering online at the SCCA.com website, leave the "Work
Preference" line blank and at the bottom of the page in "Notes to registrar"
write in "Work Preference - SportsCar Writer."

   If you've already sent your entry and checked off some other worker
preference, just let me know what you checked. I can get it changed.

   Hope to hear from you soon!

--Rocky Entriken

Chief of Writers

   ------ Run Days ------

      ~~~TUE-WED~~~

      AS  BS  DS  FS  GS

      STX STU SM

      ASP BSP ESP

      XP  BP  DP  GP

      DM  EM  FM  F125

      ~~~THU-FRI~~~

      SS  CS  ES  HS

      STS STS2 SM2

      CSP DSP FSP

      CP  EP  FP

      AM  BM  CM  FSAE

  and, of course, corresponding Ladies classes