Curse of the Boondoggle?

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Curse of the Boondoggle?
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 18:54:33 -0800
Okay, so last time I chaired an event, last November, I got this infected
zit and was sent to the hospital for two days. THIS time, that muscle
soreness that I thought came from moving those metal barriers around (NOT
the cement ones) was actually just the mere beginning of a terrible stomach
virus. There are so many better weight loss programs available, let me tell
you.

I'm here at work now because I just remembered that today was company
massage day. It was a real doozie.

We got 280 drivers through on January 28th, with a 13 minute late start, no
drivers meeting, hastily set up motorhome and grid, yet we made it. I don't
know how, but we made it. What this says about us, as a club, is amazing,
because on team.net they're talking about how it's so impossible to pull
this stuff off, particularly the on-the-fly changeovers.

Well, it nearly is.

The problem: course workers need replacing, but how to distinguish who needs
replacing requires the replacement workers to walk around the course asking
who needs to be replaced. This is kind of crazy, considering that in this
interviewing process, there are also cars travelling by at speed. There's
got to be a better way.

A solution: Copy Sac Chapter and get Station Markers, like eight of them.
When you're looking at your course worker sheet, divide up the workers into
stations, and decide who'll take a radio. So, as you check people off, you
say, "You're going to station 1, you're replacing the radio person," for
example.

Will everybody be replaced? Who knows, but at least after you know you've
sent everyone out, you can announce that those who worked the previous group
can come in.

The main thing is to send out workers in an orderly fashion, where they KNOW
where to go, eliminating any need to walk around lost in front of high speed
vehicles.

Lastly, I just want to thank Vernon for once again co-chairing the
Boondoggle by the Bay, and for sacrificing all of his runs for us. When my
mom told me we had 280 entrants, well, I had to once again go run to the
bathroom. But still, anyway, the only reason why we survived this, in my
opinion, is because we're all members. We all know what's going on. Vernon
and I have been co-chairing all of the Boondoggles, and this one had more
opportunities for disaster, what with the event in January, the late
motorhome arrival, highest turnout ever or close enough, and just the
regular old Boondoggle Curse, yet this one turned out the best. We've had
some real disasters, yet this one exceeded all expectations.

-Katie Kelly