Re: Back to 8 Run Groups, and what it means for SFR 2006

To: james creasy <james@thevenom.net>
Subject: Re: Back to 8 Run Groups, and what it means for SFR 2006
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 11:10:50 -0800
On Wed, Mar 01, 2006 at 12:02:24AM -0800, james creasy wrote:
> id like to demonstrate at the next event how i can safely work a station by
> myself.  certainly two experienced people (one flagger and one
> radio/shagger) are plenty.

James, I agree that it can be done.  It has been done.  However, if
you're only going to have two people at a station, one should be the
runner and the other should have the flag & radio.  Here's why:
   1) Running with the radio leads to garbled transmissions.
   2) The runner needs to concentrate on moving cones quickly and not
      getting hit by cars.  Anything else that they have to do or
      carry impairs their ability to do that.
   3) That flagger needs to be in immediate communication with the
      radio operator.  If they are running for cones, they may not
      hear a call for a red flag.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94