Re: [Bmcu] TR-6

To: brit car club <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] TR-6
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 23:34:47 -0600
GUFFEY DENNIS wrote:
> Have any of you installed a weber carburetor conversion kit on to a TR-6?  I
> am thinking about doing it as I have constant problems passing emmissions and
> getting smooth idle, inspite of having a fresh engine.

A fair number of folks have swapped out the original carbs for a pair of
Weber
downdrafts, which I assume is the conversion you are thinking of doing here.
And they have been happy with the increased performance and driveability
of the new carbs.  And that is the main reason they see the benefit, the
carbs
they install are NEW.  If you yank off a pair of clapped out, leaking,
misadjusted
and neglected  Strombergs and install a shiny new set of Weber DGV
style carbs, you will get an improvement.

I wonder if anyone has gotten a performance increase by replacing a set of
clean, top condition, well-tuned Strombergs by some decrepit, dirty,
leaking,
badly adjusted old Webers?

I don't mean to sound like a commercial pitchman, but at Bailey's we work
on a modest number of TR6s and usually have little trouble getting them to
pass emissions, IF the carbs are in good shape.  And a decent idle, smooth
acceleration and such are not a problem.

My main beef with the Weber DGV series of carbs is that the kits to adapt
them to Triumphs require the 'sink trap' type manifold where the airflow
makes a 180 degree bend then another 90 degree bend to get to the inlet
path.  Anytime the input charge has to change direction you lose efficiency.
And it changes direction a lot with the DGV conversion.

In my opinion I think you'd be better off and dollars ahead just sorting out
the problems with your current carbs.

Now, if you want to go to a triple DCOE sidedraft setup, that's different!

mjb.