Re: [Bmcu] Hey guys and gals..

To: bmcu@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Hey guys and gals..
From: Mark J Bradakis <mark@bradakis.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 23:46:42 -0600
Tony Martin wrote:
> I have a couple of questions. I have a tr4a that I started to restore frame
> off just been blasted. I now own a rustry tr6 with a very smooth engine.
> Should I use the 6 engine in the 4? would it drop right in? they made a tr 250
> right? Would I see much perfomance improvenemts? O should I just go back with
> the origional 4 banger? thanks. Tony

The TR4A frame and TR6 frame are pretty close to identical in the
front.  It should
not be too complicated to make the 6 motor work.  I can't recall off the
top of my head
but I think there are some minor issues with radiator mounting and some
plumbing
rerouting, but nothing too daunting.

signing up for the triumphs and 6-pack lists and asking there.  You can
go to
http://www.team.net/archive to poke around the recent traffic for those
lists
to see what they are like.

The 2.5 liter six will be smoother and rev higher than the 2.2 liter 4.
Driving
around town you probably wouldn't notice that much difference in torque, the
power in the TR6 comes in a little bit higher in the rev range.  Gee,
two cars
that I really regret selling in the past were my TR250 and my solid axle
TR4A.
So it goes.

There used to be a fellow active in the club who had a 'TR250' that was
just what
you are talking about, a TR4A with a TR6 motor.  And I keep thinking about
putting a 2 liter GT6 motor in one of my old squaretail Spitfires...

mjb.