RE: Rust

To: "'Godly Krew'" <GodlyKrew@aol.com>
Subject: RE: Rust
From: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 10:08:12 -0500
I wouldn't get too upset about the price of the car.  If someone on the
list had told you your car was worth nearly $5K  then you might not of
thought twice about it.  True, that if you try and sell it in the next
few months without fixing anything then you could stand to lose some
money,  but if you were planning to keep the car for a while,  it will
all wash out in the end.  I just think frustration can destroy a love
for a car.  =)

Take my case for example.  I purchased a 74'  for $3500 (plus I traded
an 87 Astro with some engine problems) So I figure around $4000.  (I
also have the a car loan.  It was interesting that my bank loaned me
money for a car that noone had ever heard of (or seen).  But I single
handedly took a running vehicle with a cheap but complete interior, and,
semi-working air doors and turned it into a non-running vehicle without
working doors and no interior to speak of.  I look back at the last 6
months and try to identify where I went wrong,  then I realize that I
didn't go wrong.  I guess what I am saying is that if you bought the car
for the sole purpose of a daily driver, although some people have had
sucess, a 74 AMC or 75 Ford would not be my first choice for
reliability, rust prevention, etc. etc.

I wouldn't go to court, because the car is rare,  there might be some
opinion involved in the value of a car.  If they sold you a 83 Ford
Escort for $22K I could see a case,  but this isn't quite cut and dry
enough to risk your time and money in court.  Just my opinion.  (Scott
picks up soap box and puts it away)

About building your own car,  I'm game!  I have dreamed of doing
something like that for a long time.  Trying to identify what
chassis/engine would be the best place to start.   I am currently trying
to convince my friend that his beat up Volkswagen Bug doesn't really
need a body right now.  I've never had the opportunity to cut and weld,
and in my biased opinion,  no better place to learn the delicate art of
welding than on a VW.