Re: Floorpan Skidplates?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net, scottolson@cascon.com
Subject: Re: Floorpan Skidplates?
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 17 May 1998 22:12:12 PDT
>I was under my 74 this weekend spilling gas all over myself when I
>noticed my rust problem.  The underside of the car has a classic coat
of
>rust although most areas of the car don't appear to have any major rust
>problems.  This however,  does not apply to the steel skidplates? Under
>the floorpan where the seats bolt in.  I have lost  almost 1/4th of the
>metal and I can pulll large flakes and chunks off.  What are these?

Scott, this is not a big problem. When the website comes up you can
check out how damaged John's were. I spoke with Tanner about these
because mine were damaged in a jacking incident. There is one long one
that spans the width of the car and sort of goes under and behind the
floor pan. Actually, if I remember correctly, this is three pieces. They
are easily made with a sheet metal brake. What they do is support the
floor pan.  I just had my seats out today (and that is not a job at all,
go for it, it only takes about 15 mins and a half inch socket to both of
them out) and re-fiberglassed part of the floor pan that was damaged by
the jacker guy. They are not skid plates and really shouldn't get close
to bottoming out. They are pop riveted and glued in. To remove, drill
out the rivets and carefully, with a gun but not with a torch, gently
heat the metal to cause the glue to release.  If I remember right,
Tanner does not have replacement ones, but they are nothing but flat
metal that has been bent.

[snip

The only things that I have found that rust are the seat tracks and
stuff because everything else is fiberglass. It was weird because today
I looked at the seats and for the first time in my life, the part of the
seat that was in the car (tracks and all) was in worse shap than the
part of the bolts that go through the floor pan and are actually under
the car.  The one thing that I was wondering is whether I should drill a
couple of drain holes at the lowest part underneath the seats. Even
though my car has been covered when I took the seats out the carpet was
still moist. I am also planning on using the silver stuff under there.
Kim

>Also for the interior of the car,  I have removed 3/4th  of the carpet
>(minus the part underneath the seats that haven't been removed yeat for
>fear of the unknown).   When I remove all the carpet and hairy brown
>stuff,  what should I do to prepare the interior of the car before
>laying down the aluminized rubber stuff (reccomended by Tanner from
J.C.