Emissions requirements in the seattle Wash area....

To: amc-gw!british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Emissions requirements in the seattle Wash area....
From: uunet!morpho!alan@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Alan Dahl)
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 90 10:34:12 PDT
John Metzger writes:

>I've accepted a new position that will require relocation to the Belvue/Seattle
>washington area and I was wondering if anybody located there could tell me of
>the emissions testing requirements for the area. I have a '70 MG Midget that
>currently resides in MAss where it doesn't have to undergo any emissions tests.

>Do they check for the presence of all emmision related equipment ? I'm not sure
>if my car ever had an air pump on it but it doesn't have one now...

>Do they have strick idle and load emissions tests ? I'm trying to determine if
>I should just sell the car here in Mass rather than bring it across country and
>not be able to drive it because of failed emissions....

If you actually reside in either Bellevue, Seattle, or the immediate
surrounding area all cars built after 1968 must have an emissions test
every other year ($16).  Older cars don't have to meet the same standards
as new ones, however.  It is also possible to have a non-compling car OKed
if you spend $100 to get it fixed and it still doesn't pass (you have to re-
spend the $100 every two years, however, it is not a "lifetime" exemption).

My 1978 Midget is missing the air pump, converter, etc (a 1976 engine and
1978 polution gear don't work together) and it still passed when I tested
it with my own meter.  I don't, however, live close enough to Seattle to
have to have it tested by the state, so I don't know if it would pass
on their equipment.
      ___    __    __    __          __      Alan Dahl
    / / /  /  /  /__/  /__/  /__/  /  /      North American MORPHO Systems
   / / /  /__/  / \   /     /  /  /__/       1145 Broadway Plaza
                                             Tacoma, WA. 98402, USA
   PH:  1 (206) 593-8021
   FAX: 1 (206) 591-8856
   ...amc-gw!morpho!alan