Re: RHD conversion, Engine mounts

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Re: RHD conversion, Engine mounts
From: mit-eddie!tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU!garnett@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Roger Garnett)
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 90 13:54:44 EDT
>From Adrian:
>I own a TR4 and am considering taking it with me when I return to my
>native Britain
>I would like to convert it to LHD.
>whether I'm in fact ruining the car
>to do this, and in doing so markedly affecting its value?

You would be increasing it's value in the UK market. There's a lot of
Conversion activity over there these days, what with all of the cars
being sucked out of the U.S. . You might take a look at what some of the
English TR suppliers, of TR clubs have available in the way of kits.
I know of at least one place that has kits to convert MGA's to RHD.
Includes dash panel, steering rack, and a couple other bits.

Subject: Engine Mount replacement
>From Indi (Cathy Young):

>       Does anyone have any good hints, warnings, or stories about their
>       engine mount replacement episode to share with us?

The rubber in the mounts is probably soft due to age, oil, & stress.
Engine mount replacement should be pretty straightforward.
- disconnect the radiator, short wires & hoses, etc.
- Undo the nuts/bolts on the mounts
- jack or lift the engine, mostly on one side at a time, to get enough
  room to remove the old mount, and insert the new.
- "reassembly in the reverse of the above"
make sure you reconnect the Block to Frame ground wire.
   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@tcgould.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   | The All New:
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!