Re: Vintage Racing Magazines

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing Magazines
From: mit-eddie!CC.UTAH.EDU!LYE_J%WUMS.BITNET@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 11:28 CST

This is in reply to Roger Garnett but others may be interested:

[Of course I'm posting it rather than responding by e-mail for
that reason, not because I deleted the message before noting the
return address {^:  ]

        Anyway, as you mentioned there are the various club newsletter,
the Apex (RMVR's newsletter is qquite good, by the way); but there
are also two general interest, national magazines.  The two are
Victory Lane and Vintage Motorsport; I subscribe to both of these,
and will try to give my impressions of them here as they are somwhat
different.
        I believe that Victory Lane is the older of the two, and
started out as a fairly small newsletter.  Its now become somewhat
slicker, with more glossy photos.  Until recently, it was edited
by Dewey Dellinger, who is especially involved with the vintage
Formula V's.  Consequently, IMHO the magazine seems to have
more coverage of the small-bore, the less glamorous, and the
oddball cars than Vintage Motorsport.  Often this coverage is
quite interesting, and fun to read.
        Vintage Motorsport is much slicker and glossier than
Victory Lane.  It has more a mass market feel to it; whereas
Victory Lane has a feel of being written for "those already in
the club".  Not cliquish or snobby, but not trying to make it
fashionable enough to reach the mass market.  Vintage Motorsport
has started doing comprehensive features on various marques;
often tied in with the featured marque at a major race/exhibition.
        As I recall Victory Lane is a monthly, while Vintage Motorsport
comes out six times a year.  Both have reasonable coverage of the major
vintage races, while Victory Lane tends to provide more coverage of
the less visible races as well.  Prices are similar I think,
I don't have subscription info here at work, but I'll
be
happy to send it to anyone who wants (I'll try not delete messages
quite so quickly next time).

                        Cheers,
                        John