polishing parts of cars

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!ftp.com!mason@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: polishing parts of cars
From: Michael Sands <mit-eddie!apple.com!sands@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 12:16:58 -0700
Nark mentioned polishing parts of his SU's and how neat they
look after the treatment.  I too played with the buffing wheel
that I use to restore old antique music boxes and pinball machines.

I gave the Micky Mouse ears on my Weber carbs to my wife and she
had a blast making them look pretty.  I was hard at work on the
from suspension of the Super Seven so I polished the nuts and bolts
and even the trunnion.  Boy, did that look nice, all brass and shiny!

But I drive this car once or twice a week and it is amazing how
quickly the corosion hits, even here in dry, sunny California.  All
our effort was wasted.  I see why people who polish their cars
excessively now trailer there cars every where.  No one on this net
would be that excessive, of course...

I also stripe marked all the suspension pieces so I could tell at
a glance if the part was loosening.  Many new cars are marked this way
with bright yellows and blues.  All I could find was some of my
wife's old nail polish, mostly clear with some metallic pink in it.

This looks pretty and prevents corosion but I had a hard time with
pink nuts and bolts in the front end of my car...

Michael