Elan Headlamps

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: Elan Headlamps
From: mit-eddie!dsinc!cgh!paul@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Paul Homchick)
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 90 16:00:28 GMT+4:00
My Lotus Elan has (er, had) a linkage for the headlights that connected
the headlamp pods to arms off of an actuator rod that raised and lowered
said headlights.  These linkages had plastic sockets on either end of a
threaded rod, into which a threaded rod with a ball end was inserted.
After a bit (10 to 20 years) the plastic ends crack and harden and these
pieces no longer work.  And, of course, the pieces are no longer
available, either.

The correct solution seems to be to fabricate new linkages from
miniature heim-joints and threaded rod.  Have any of you Lotus owners
done this? And, do any of the rest of you have better suggestions for
finding the hardware other than Earl's Supply off of Hawthorne Blvd, in
L.A.??

Thanks.

(and then, there is the matter of the water pump rebuild, the new
interior, a replacement mid-nose, a new paint job, & etc, & etc).

P.S.  Does anyone know the going price of Loti, these days? I have heard
some fantastic rumors.  These rumors mention prices of $30K for S1-S3
drop-head coupes.  My Elan, being a S4 Stromberg SE Coupe with a Spyder
chassis and some head and cam work from Dave Bean Engineering, isn't
worth anything like that, but if these other prices are right, it is
probably worth more than I had thought.

--
Paul Homchick                    :UUCP     {rutgers | uunet} !cbmvax!cgh!paul
Chimitt Gilman Homchick, Inc.    :Internet                   cgh!paul@dsi.com