Jealous Car Syndrome

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Jealous Car Syndrome
From: Scott Turner <mit-eddie!CS.UCLA.EDU!srt@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 90 14:37:05 PDT
I guess I shouldn't have been lusting after that '75 MG Midget I
mentioned earlier in this list, because Photon the Faithful 79 MGB
showed signs of jealousy last Friday.  The posslq and I were motoring
along to the mall when the engine started missing and then died.
Restarting it failed and we coasted to a stop around a conveniently
placed corner (only finding it necessary to cut off one car).  Once
stopped I noticed that the headlights were practically dead.  An
attempt to start it again revealed a battery in the same condition.

On the walk back to the apartment (only about two miles, fortunately)
the posslq got the two cent lecture about engine electrical systems.
She's decided to become more car knowledgable, and so every time
something fails on one of our cars, she gets to learn what I know
about it.  Given that we have a Hyundai Excel and an MGB, she's
learning a lot.  Of course, it doesn't always stick...

        Me: "When the engine isn't running, the battery provides
            the power to start the car and run the engine.  Once
            the engine is running, the alternator provides the
            power to run the engine.  So, since the car died while
            the engine was running, which failed?"

       Her: "The battery?"

Strangely enough, my local auto parts place had a replacement
alternator.  That was good, since the British Auto Parts place isn't
open on Saturday.  That was bad, since it was rebuilt, and I would
have rather put on a new alternator.  But that was good, since it was
a lot cheaper ($59 vs. $120) than a new alternator.  It went on
without a hitch and seems to be working admirably.

Miscellaneous Question:  Does anybody know for sure if the terminal
plug changed between the 16AC and 18AC Lucas alternators, so that I
could be assured that I have the correct alternator?

So that was the British motoring experience for the weekend.

                                                -- Scott Turner