Re: soft tops and vanity Plates

To: eddie.mit.edu!alliant.com!british-cars@beaver.cs.washington.edu
Subject: Re: soft tops and vanity Plates
From: mit-eddie!beaver.cs.washington.edu!microsoft!timke@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Fri Sep 28 08:57:55 1990
re: soft tops

| However, the 4A hood and frame can be completely removed -- but it's a
| matter of 10 or 11 bolts to do so. I did this most of last spring...

i take the hood and frame off my tr6 every winter so i can put the
factory hard top on.  they don't coexist since they share several of
the same bolt holes.  the flying buttress shape of the hardtop and the
color change (white car/white hard top/black soft top) give the car a
notably different personality.  it's kinda like having 2 different
cars, but cheaper :)

re: vanity plates

i don't have vanity plates on any of my british iron, but i have them
on my 1967 M37 Power Wagon.  an M37 is a 3/4 ton army 4x4 pickup
designed in the early 50's.  it's mechanically identical to the
ambulances on M*A*S*H (M43's, i think).  it has a flathead 6, 1.5"
lugnuts, 5.83:1 gearing, and stands 7'2".  it's basically 5800 lbs of
steel made so that even the army couldn't destroy it.  i think the
entire truck is comprised of less parts than the irs in my e-type.

the plates?

    LO TECH

and since the canvas top and frame are removable rather than retractible,
i guess it's a roadster :-)  but then again, maybe the roll-up side
windows make it a tourer :-)

-tim

anybody out there know where i can find a set of triple su's and intake
manifold for an e-type?  i gotta get rid of these stupid double zenith
strombergs.  any leads appreciated.