current owner mods

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: current owner mods
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@dtc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 91 16:22:25 pdt
Once while I was doing some work on the front brakes of a Healey, I
managed to break a fitting by over tightening it.  It was Friday evening
and everything was closed.  The Healey was my only means of
transportation and I had a date with my future wife in a couple hours.
So, for a desperation quick fix I disconnected the hydraulic line from
the caliper and screwed the bleeder screw into the line fitting to
block it off.  I drove the car with three wheel brakes for the several
weeks it took for new the fitting I had to order to arrive at the
dealer.

One time in my high school days a friend of mine was giving me a ride
home late one night in his old Dodge.  All of a sudden his car engine
started racing madly.  He tuned the ignition off and pulled over to
check out the problem.  It was pitch black out and we didn't have a
flashlight or any tools.  Using a lit match to see by we finally
figured out that the accelerator return spring was broken.  After using
up what few matches we had left trying to figure out what to do we
finally decided that I would be the return spring.  I got down on the
floor inside the car and put my hand behind the accelerator pedal.  I
held pressure on the pedal while my friend drove the car to his house.