Current owner mods

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Current owner mods
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1991 21:33:44 -0500
   Before the recent muffler addition the exhaust pipe on my 74 MGBGT was
   held to the mid car mounting bracket by a short length of chain.

   The starter relay is wired to a seperate switch  in the console after
   the starter position on the ignition switch quit working.  I have since
   found out that the switch is fine, the wire between the switch and the
   relay is not.

   Wiring harness... well when I rebuilt the car I had a good forward
   harness from a 71.  The forward wiring harness from the 74 died in
   the accident but everything else was good.  Since I couldn't afford
   a new harness I cobbled the two of them together.  It has worked fine
   but I need to have both wiring diagrams to work on the car.

   The front fenders were salvaged from 2 cars, not the possible expected
   left from 1 and the right from the other.  No, I had to get tricky!
   From one car I got the upper section of both fenders, the portion that
   is above the molding line and included the headlight section.  From
   the other car I got the pieces that were below the molding line.  Then
   I bolted them together.  With tiny little bolts.  Cover the seam with
   a little fiberglass and bondo.  Best laugh, met fellow with another GT
   who wanted to trade fenders. :-)  His had less rust on them than mine.

   There is a piece of aluminum can behind the caliper on my right front
   wheel.  The brake would drag regardless of what I did to it until I
   used the pop can for a shim.

   Of course I don't plan on letting these problems exist forever, as soon
   as I have a stable job that allows me to buy another vechicle I am thinking
   about taking the car apart again and fixing everything....or I'll buy
   that derilict MGA I've found and fix it instead.  :-)

       Tim