Re: Storing Old Parts

To: Jerry Kaidor <akgua!att!engtwomac.synoptics.com!Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO>,
Subject: Re: Storing Old Parts
From: tdm@akguc.att.com
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 92 10:28 EDT
     Last summer I stopped to talk to a man in Lilburn, a small town
here in Georgia.  He had a 60's Bentley parked beside his garage in
a bad but restorable state.  I mentioned that I had a '61 MGA and he
said that he used to have a MGA transmission and tried to give it
away but couldn't find anyone that wanted it.  I asked him what he
did with it and he said,"I buried it !" I looked around to see if
I could locate the Candid Camera. The guy did excavating for a
living and when you have your own bulldozer you can bury anything.
I asked him if he would mind if I dug it up.  He said he didn't
mind and that it was down by the creek somewhere.
     I arrived the next Saturday with my Honda, 100' of rope, a
shovel, and a hoe. The weeds were about 5 feet high and I knew
that somewhere there was at least 2 water moccasins waiting for
me.  I found a part of the bell housing exposed and started
digging.  It was buried with the small end down and the shift
lever was wedge under a buried pine tree.  I dug as much as I
could and then tied the rope to the bell housing,  tied the
other end to the Honda and starting pulling.  It finally came
out.  I rolled and drug it over to the Honda and managed to
put it into the hatchback.
     The aluminum housing was in great shape. ( It had been
buried about 1.5 years)  I assume that it is still filled with
oil so the gears should be okay.  Part of the steel mounting
hardware has surface rust but I think I can fix or replace it.
     He told me that he had actually buried 2.  I may go back
this summer.  I decided that if anyone walked up and asked
me what I was doing while I was digging for the first one,
I was going to tell them I was digging for worms!  No way I'm
going to say that I'm digging for transmissions!

Don Mathis
Bell Labs
Norcross, Georgia