Waynesboro meet, TR6 gas...

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Waynesboro meet, TR6 gas...
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 92 16:49:20 EDT
Dana P. Henry wrote:

 >   Just wanted to say that I really enjoy reading reports about the
 > various British car meets and events across the country.  If you go to
 > a meet, how about just dropping us a few lines to let us know that you
 > were there, and what went on.  Details aren't always necessary, just a
 > few lines to give us the flavor of the event.

Ok, I'll bite.  This weekend was full of LBC stuff for me and Paul
Gilders.  We drove down to the Waynesboro (party-time, excellent) LBC
event.  It was a small show, but there were about 100 LBCs there, from
A-H to Jags, to MGs to TRs...  One TR6 worth mentioning, was a '75 TR6
with a slightly (must have) modified engine... it had a tri-weber
setup with 10:1 compression, a megga cam which pushed valve overlap,
modified distributor for more advance, electric cooling system, and a
BIG button on the dash labeled, "FIRE - PUSH".  I asked the owner if
he ever had to push THE button, he replied, "No."  Paul and I talked
to the guy (can't recall his name at the moment) for quite a while and
he had done a brilliant job with the setup.  He estimates the output
around 160hp.  Saw some really fantastic Austin Healy craftmanship
there too.  I think I'm attached to the 100 series machines.  What a
work of art...  No events that required engines running unfortunately,
mostly just "show" stuff.

There was quite a good show of used parts there!  And many vendors...
I was impressed for this size show.  I picked up a few goodies, like
some new "rally" springs for the rear of the TR6 from TSI.  He says
I'll have 25% more spring pressure and stock ride height.  (Yay, no
more rear squat!)  I didn't find IT, but if I did find IT, I would be
sure to tell you what IT was.  But I didn't.  I talked with the owner
(Ted Schumacher I believe) who was quite a spirited individual who was
obviously in the old car business because he loved the sport.  He
mentioned that he used to come home after a long day in his "IBM suit"
and would frown at the floor.  I admired that he dropped the computer
act onto the floor and now does the car thing for a living.
(personally I couldn't give up SOL? :- -) I meant to ask him if he had
heard of us (SOL) but was too wrapped up in my springs.  BTW, I have
nothing to do with TSI, I just liked how much they smiled...  :-)

I also met Charles Runyan from TRF there.  Quite a nice fellow.  I
can't say enough about TRF, as they have really done a fabulous job
for those of use that are fortunate enough to own a car that they
carry parts for.

On the way home, Paul and I drove his B about 80 miles along skyline
drive.  It was a beautiful day, about 70-75 degrees, with just a few
clouds about.  Just GORGEOUS!  Tailing a Jag E-type along the roadway
made the view resplendent as well.

TR6 GAS...

Before we left for the show, Paul and I drained some fuel into a
gallon milk jug, taking it out from the fuel line just before the fuel
filter.  I then cut the top off the jug and set this fuel out to
evaporate for the day (about a pint).  When we returned from the show
(some 14 hours later) I learned an important thing.  Petrol takes
quite a long time to evaporate!  I thought to boil it off on my gas
stove, but my wife didn't like the smell of cooking flammable liquids
in the kitchen, oh well.  8^> So I checked the edges where the fuel
had evaporated for crystals and found nothing.  Disposed of most the
rest and checked for more crystals in the morning, nothing.  I shall
be driving the car tonight and shall report if we have an engine
running tomorrow or not.  Many folks felt I should drain the tank, and
that would be the safest thing to do, but I think I was letting my
worst dreams get the best of me.  (Say Daren, in *your* dream, did you
remember anything about sugar? ;-)

Frosted Flakes,

-Scott