Re: parts registration???!

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: parts registration???!
From: "Andrew C. Green" <acg@hermes.dlogics.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1992 12:41:07 CDT
(Richard George) (rkg@ateq.com) writes:
> Has anyone out there in netland been following this bill, and understand
> what these provisions involve?  As most LBC owners seem to end up being
> car ghouls at one time or another, is this going to create major hassles in
> procuring used parts or will it prevent someone from boning out a car on their
> own?

It's my understanding that the provision requiring "branding" of major parts
with the original vehicle's VIN or other significant serial number is simply
to allow tracking of the parts in case someone has reason to think that they
might be stolen. Most likely this sort of inspection might be during a spot
check of a wrecking yard or body shop. By no means would you be prohibited
from buying or selling parts as you see fit, though I suppose it's conceivable
that if you were to advertise the parting out of a conspicuous car (i.e. a
very new or highly-sought-after model), you might get a visit from some cops
wanting to run the numbers on the parts.

About ten years ago, when T-tops were popular and easily stolen, there was a
glut of classified ads for them asking several hundred dollars apiece. Now,
you just KNEW that some of those were somewhat warmer than room temperature,
but without identifying serial numbers, what could you do?

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473