Latest on MGB vibrations

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Latest on MGB vibrations
From: paulg@cme.nist.gov (Paul Gilders)
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 92 09:14:46 EST
Well after many helpful suggestions, I think that I have isolated my
vibrational problem to the driveshaft/U-joints. Last night I revved
the engine right throughout the rev range and it seemed extremely
smooth (very pleasing to hear) - so I guess this rules out vibration
from the engine. It was also suggested to me that the vibration may
have been due to a wheel balancing weight falling off. I still haven't
completely ruled this out since I didn't manage to change the wheels
over last night (the temperature outside fell well below zero -
English wimp). However, since the vibration only occurs when under
acceleration, then I think it most likely that the problem is from the
drive shaft/U-joints. So what can I do to check sloppiness? I assume I
could just crawl underneath and feel the rear U-joint. Scott also
suggested jacking the rear of the car up and driving the rear axle.
However, since there will be virtually no load I think the likelihood
of locating the trouble would be slim. Are there any other ideas for
checking the U-joints without taking the driveshaft out?

        Any advice gratefully received.

        Thanks,

        Paul.